News

Trapped venomous snake throws tantrum in Australia bathroom


title=

A large and extremely venomous eastern brown snake got stuck in an Australian woman’s bathroom and began pushing things off the counter top like a spoiled cat.

Facebook screenshot

An extremely venomous snake got trapped in an Australian woman’s bathroom and had a fit that included pushing things off the counter like a house cat.

It happened the first week of March, when a woman in Kobble Creek, northwest of Brisbane, watched in horror as a large snake “slithered out from under” her bed, Brisbane North Snake Catchers and Relocation reported.

The 5-foot eastern brown snake then made its way to her bathroom.

“She shut the door and placed a towel at the bottom of the door,” the company wrote March 8 on Facebook.

“When I arrived I opened the door to find him about a foot away from me — staring at me — (while) resting across the basin. He then thought it was fun to go for a climb up over the overhead cabinet knocking everything off in the process.”

Photos show the snake pushed a wide array of hygiene products to the floor, before climbing the wall toward the ceiling. (“Who said venomous snakes don’t climb?” the company wrote.)

The snake was subdued in a surprisingly old fashioned way: The snake wrangler grabbed it by the tail, photos show.

Snakes captured by the company are released unharmed in wilderness areas.

It was the second time this month the company responded to a call about an eastern brown snake getting indoors. The other saw one appear in a cabinet drawer, as a woman was cleaning an office, the company reported. No one was hurt.

Eastern brown snakes are “an extremely defensive, dangerous venomous snake,” and their bite can be fatal. The species is common in eastern Australia and averages about 4 feet, 9 inches in length, according to the Australian Museum.

“The venom … can result in progressive paralysis and uncontrollable bleeding. Occasional fatalities have occurred as a result of bleeding into the brain due to coagulation disturbances,” the museum says.

News of one being found in a woman’s bathroom has gotten hundreds of reactions and comments on social media. This includes a lot of guesses as to how it got under the bed.

“Do I need to check under my bed,” one woman asked.

Related stories from Miami Herald

Mark Price has been a reporter for The Charlotte Observer since 1991, covering beats including schools, crime, immigration, LGBTQ issues, homelessness and nonprofits. He graduated from the University of Memphis with majors in journalism and art history, and a minor in geology.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.