– August: An arrest warrant is issued for Assange over two separate allegations – one among rape and one among molestation – after he visits Sweden for a talking journey. He is questioned by police in Stockholm and denies the allegations.
– November: Stockholm District Court approves a request to detain the WikiLeaks founder for questioning on suspicion of rape, sexual molestation and illegal coercion. An worldwide arrest warrant is issued by Swedish police by way of Interpol.
– December: Assange presents himself to London police and seems at an extradition listening to the place he’s remanded in custody. He is later granted conditional bail on the High Court in London after his supporters supply £240,000 in money and sureties. US president Donald Trump requires the dying penalty for Assange.
– February: District Judge Howard Riddle guidelines that Assange needs to be extradited to Sweden.
– November: Assange loses a High Court attraction towards the choice.
– May: The UK Supreme Court upholds the High Court choice.
– June 19: Assange enters the Ecuadorian embassy in London, requesting political asylum. A day later, Scotland Yard confirms he will probably be topic to arrest for breaching his bail circumstances.
– June: Assange says he is not going to depart the embassy even when intercourse allegations towards him are dropped, as a result of he fears strikes are below method to extradite him to the US.
– July: Assange loses a authorized bid to have an arrest warrant issued in Sweden cancelled.
– August 13: Swedish prosecutors drop investigations into among the intercourse allegations towards Assange resulting from time restrictions. The investigation into suspected rape stays lively.
– October 12: The Metropolitan Police finish their 24-hour guard exterior the Ecuadorian embassy. It concludes a three-year police operation which is estimated to have value greater than £12 million.
– September 16: Sweden’s Court of Appeal rejects a bid by Assange to have his intercourse assault warrant dropped.
– October: WikiLeaks publishes Democratic National Committee emails to the political good thing about Mr Trump, who remarks throughout his marketing campaign: “I love WikiLeaks.”
– November 14: Assange is questioned for 2 days on the Ecuadorian embassy within the presence of Sweden’s assistant prosecutor, Ingrid Isgren, and police inspector Cecilia Redell.
– January 17: Barack Obama’s choice to free Chelsea Manning prompts hypothesis over Assange’s place.
– April 21: America’s lawyer basic, Jeff Sessions, says Assange’s arrest is a “priority” for the US.
– May 19: An investigation right into a intercourse allegation towards Assange is dropped by Sweden’s director of public prosecutions.
– August 15: Assange is allegedly supplied a deal to keep away from extradition in trade for revealing the supply of hacked Democratic Party emails to finish hypothesis over Russian involvement.
– December: It is claimed that unnamed US figures who’ve been paying a safety contractor to bug Assange within the Ecuadorian embassy have mentioned a determined plan to kidnap or poison him.
– August 9: The US Senate Committee asks to interview Assange as a part of its investigation into alleged Russian interference within the 2016 presidential election.
– September 27: Assange steps down as editor of WikiLeaks.
– January: Mr Trump claims to know nothing about WikiLeaks, solely that “there is something having to do with Julian Assange”.
– January 10: A authorized defence fund is launched for Assange amid fears he’s below “increasingly serious threat”.
– January 23: Lawyers for Assange say they’re taking motion aimed toward making Mr Trump’s administration reveal expenses “secretly filed” towards him.
– March: Ms Manning is jailed once more for refusing to present proof to a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks.
– April 11: Assange is arrested after the Ecuadorian authorities withdraws his asylum, blaming his “repeated violations” of “international conventions and daily-life protocols”. He is discovered responsible of breaching the Bail Act and remanded in custody at Belmarsh Prison.
– May 1: Assange is sentenced to 50 weeks’ imprisonment by Southwark Crown Court. He continues to be held on remand in Belmarsh from September after serving the custodial sentence.
– May 19: Swedish authorities resume their investigation into the alleged rape.
– November 19: The alleged rape investigation is discontinued.
– January 13: Assange seems at Westminster Magistrates’ Court and is backed by dozens of supporters together with rapper MIA.
– February 24: Assange faces an extradition listening to at Woolwich Crown Court, the place his representatives argue he can not legally be handed to the US for “political offences” due to a 2003 extradition treaty.
– March 25: Assange seems through video-link at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, the place he’s refused bail amid the coronavirus disaster.
– April 11: Stella Moris, Assange’s associate, who gave delivery to his two youngsters whereas he was dwelling contained in the Ecuadorian embassy, points a plea for his launch amid fears for his well being.
– June 24: The US Department of Justice points an up to date 18-count indictment over Assange’s alleged position in “one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States”.
– August 25: Ms Moris visits Assange in Belmarsh Prison for the primary time in virtually six months.
– September 7: Assange’s extradition listening to resumes on the Old Bailey.
– November 26: Ms Moris urges Mr Trump to pardon Assange earlier than he leaves workplace.
– January 4: A choose on the Old Bailey guidelines that Assange can’t be extradited to the United States.
– January 6: Assange is refused bail at Westminster Magistrates’ Court because the US authorities appeals towards the choice to dam his extradition.
– August 11: The US authorities is allowed by the High Court to develop the premise of its attraction towards the choose’s choice to not extradite Assange.
– November 11: Sources inform the PA information company that Assange has been given permission to marry Ms Moris in Belmarsh Prison.
– December 10: The US authorities wins its High Court bid to overturn the choose’s choice to not extradite Assange.
– December 14: Australia’s Deputy Prime Minister, Barnaby Joyce, speaks out to say Assange shouldn’t be extradited, however as an alternative be saved in Britain and tried there or returned to his house nation.
– December 23: Ms Moris says Assange’s attorneys have began the method in the direction of a Supreme Court attraction over his extradition to the US.
– January 24: Assange wins the primary stage of his Supreme Court attraction bid towards a choice to permit his extradition to the US.
– March 14: Assange is denied permission to attraction towards the High Court’s choice in December 2021 to extradite him to the US, the Supreme Court confirms.
– March 23: Assange marries Ms Moris at Belmarsh Prison in a personal ceremony lasting round three hours, with six friends together with the couple’s two younger sons and Assange’s father, John Shipton.
– April 20: Westminster Magistrates’ Court formally points an extradition order, which means Home Secretary Priti Patel is now accountable for deciding whether or not to approve the extradition, with two months to make her choice.
– June 17: Ms Patel indicators the extradition order. Assange has the same old 14-day proper to attraction.