Nathan Cleary could make an early return from injury, while a Melbourne Storm star player has been ruled out with Covid. See all the Round 3 team news.
Melbourne hooker Harry Grant has been ruled out of Saturday night’s game against Parramatta at AAMI Park after testing positive to COVID-19.
Grant failed a rapid antigen test before entering Storm headquarters on Tuesday morning before being sent for a PCR test and placed in isolation.
He returned a positive result after the deadline passed for the lodgement of this week’s team with the NRL. As a result, Grant will be forced to isolate for the next seven days.
His replacement in the squad of 24 will be named later in the week but Tyran Wishart was named on the interchange bench and seems the logical starter against the Eels, although Brandon Smith was also named as part of the extended squad.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free In Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Storm head of football Frank Ponissi insisted Smith was a chance to play provided he proved his fitness during the week.
“We’re not going to rush him because of that,” Ponissi said.
“We will see how Brandon progresses during the week with his hand. The surgeon has said there is no risk in playing him. If he gets through the next two sessions without any discomfort, he is a chance of playing.”
Ponissi said the club had prepared their players during the preseason for the potential disruption caused by Covid.
“We spoke about this at great length during the preseason with our players,” Ponissi said.
“We just have to move on. We trained today without him knowing there was a chance he could get a positive covid test.”
Meanwhile, Nathan Cleary could be set to play his first NRL action of 2022 in Round 3, after being named on an extended bench for Penrith.
Panthers initially ruled Cleary out from the first three matches of the season as he recovered from off-season shoulder surgery, but his inclusion means we could see him play a week early.
ROUND 3 TEAMS
DRAGONS v SHARKS
Thursday, 8.05pm, WIN Stadium, Wollongong
1. Tyrell Sloan, 2. Cody Ramsey, 3. Moses Suli, 4. Zac Lomax, 5. Mikaele Ravalawa, 6. Talatau Amone, 7. Ben Hunt, 8. Francis Molo, 9. Moses Mbye, 10. Blake Lawrie, 11. Jack Bird, 12. Jaydn Su’A, 13. Tariq Sims
Bench: 14. Jack de Belin, 15. Josh Kerr, 16. Jackson Ford, 17. Jack Gosiewski
Reserves: 18. Tautau Moga, 19. Poasa Faamausili, 20. Daniel Alvaro 21. Mathew Fegai 22. Jaiyden Hunt, 23. Michale Molo 24. George Burgess
Team Talk: Andrew McCullough (elbow) is OUT with Moses Mbye shifting from the interchange to hooker. George Burgess escaped with a fine following his dangerous contact charge and has been named in the reserves.
1. Will Kennedy, 2. Sione Katoa, 3. Jesse Ramien, 4. Connor Tracey, 5. Matt Ikuvalu, 6. Matt Moylan, 7. Nicho Hynes, 8. Toby Rudolf, 9. Blayke Brailey, 10. Braden Hamlin-Uele, 11. Briton Nikora, 12. Siosifa Talakai, 13. Dale Finucane
Bench: 14. Aiden Tolman, 15. Cameron McInnes, 16. Braydon Trindall, 17. Andrew Fifita
Reserves: 18. Luke Metcalf, 19. Royce Hunt, 20. Jack Williams, 21. Lachlan Miller 22. Franklin Pele, 23. Jenson Taumoepeau 24. Thomas Hazelton
Team Talk: Teig Wilton copped a one match ban for his dangerous contact on Mitchell Moses, Siosifa Talakai starts in his place. Ronaldo Mulitalo failed a HIA test against the Eels and has not been named with Matt Ikuvalu replacing him on the wing. Braydon Trindall returns from suspension and is named at number 16 which sees Royce Hunt relegated off the bench.
TIGERS v WARRIORS
Friday, 6pm, Campbelltown Sports Stadium, Sydney
1. Daine Laurie, 2. David Nofoaluma, 3. James Roberts, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Ken Maumalo, 6. Jackson Hastings, 7. Luke Brooks, 8. James Tamou, 9. Jacob Liddle, 10. Stefano Utoikamanu, 11. Luke Garner, 12. Luciano Leilua, 13. Joe Ofahengaue
Bench: 14. Tyrone Peachey, 15. Alex Twal, 16. Zane Musgrove, 17. Jake Simpkin
Reserves: 18. Thomas Mikaele, 19. Jock Madden, 20. Alex Seyfarth, 21. Starford To’a, 22. Tukimihia Simpkins, 23. Austin Dias, 24. Rua Ngatikaura
Team Talk: Jackson Hastings has been named after opting to front the judiciary over his dangerous tackle. Luke Garner comes into the starting side in place of Kelma Tuilagi (HIA, 5-day turnaround). Jacob Liddle returns from injury and is named to start at hooker pushing Jake Simpkin to the interchange and Alex Seyfarth to the reserves.
1. Reece Walsh, 2. Adam Pompey, 3. Jesse Arthars, 4. Rocco Berry, 5. Marcelo Montoya, 6. Chanel Harris-Tavita, 7. Kodi Nikorima, 8. Addin Fonua-Blake, 9. Wayde Egan, 10.Matt Lodge, 11. Euan Aitken, 12. Eliesa Katoa, 13. Josh Curran
Bench: 14. Jazz Tevaga, 15. Bunty Afoa, 16. Aaron Pene, 17. Bayley Sironen
Reserves: 18. Jack Murchie, 20. Ben Murdoch-Masila, 21. Taniela Otukolo, 22. Pride Patterson-Robati 23. Valingi Kepu, 24. Junior Ratuva, 25. Edward Kosi
Team Talk: One change to the team from last week with Kodi Nikorima coming into the halves for an injured Ash Taylor. Addin Fonua-Blake suffered a late hand injury in the loss to the Titans, but has been named.
RABBITOHS v ROOSTERS
Friday, 8.05pm, Accor Stadium, Sydney
1. Latrell Mitchell, 2. Alex Johnston, 3. Taane Milne, 4. Campbell Graham, 5. Jaxson Paulo, 6. Cody Walker, 7. Lachlan Ilias, 8. Tevita Tatola, 9. Damien Cook, 10. Mark Nicholls, 11. Keaon Koloamatangi, 12. Jai Arrow, 13. Cameron Murray
Bench: 14. Jacob Host 15. Siliva Havili, 16. Thomas Burgess, 17. Liam Knight
Reserves: 18. Josh Mansour, 19. Michael Chee Kam, 20. Richard Kennar , 21. Davvy Moale, 22. Dean Hawkins, 23. Peter Mamouzelos, 24. Isaiah Tass
Team Talk: Cameron Murray returns to the starting side after starting from the bench last week. Liam Knight returns from injury and is named on the interchange bench.
1. James Tedesco, 2. Daniel Tupou, 3. Paul Momirovski, 4. Joey Manu, 5. Billy Smith, 6. Sam Walker, 7. Luke Keary, 8. Lindsay Collins, 9. Connor Watson, 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho, 11. Nat Butcher, 12. Sitili Tupouniua, 13. Victor Radley
Bench: 14. Drew Hutchison, 15. Fletcher Baker, 16. Angus Crichton, 17. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
Reserves: 18. Lachlan Lam, 19. Daniel Suluka-Fifita, 20. Freddy Lussick, 21. Naufahu Whyte, 22. Adam Keighran, 23. Renouf Atoni, 24. Kevin Naiqama
Team Talk: Big news is the benching of Origin star Angus Crichton in favour of last week’s two try star Nat Butcher. Sitili Tupouniua has overcome concussion protocol to take his part in the game. Joey Manu and Connor Watson have been named despite copping knocks last week against Manly.
PANTHERS v KNIGHTS
Saturday, 3pm, Carrington Park, Bathurst
1. Dylan Edwards, 2. Charlie Staines, 3. Izack Tago, 4. Stephen Crichton, 5. Taylan May, 6. Jarome Luai, 7. Sean O’Sullivan, 8. Matthew Eisenhuth, 9. Api Koroisau, 10. James Fisher-Harris, 11. Viliame Kikau, 12. Liam Martin, 13. Isaah Yeo
Bench: 14. Mitch Kenny, 15. Scott Sorensen, 16. Spencer Leniu, 17. Jaeman Salmon
Reserves: 18. J’maine Hopgood, 19. Chris Smith, 20. Robert Jennings, 21. Lindsay Smith, 22. Soni Luke, 23. Kurt Falls, 24. Nathan Cleary
Team Talk: One big out for the premiers with Brian To’o (knee) replaced by Talan May.
Somewhat surprisingly both James Fisher-Harris (shoulder) and Scott Sorensen (wrist) have been named. Only other slight point of interest is NATHAN CLEARY IS BACK. The star half has been named in jersey 24 and so must be some chance to play.
1. Kalyn Ponga, 2. Dominic Young, 3. Dane Gagai, 4. Bradman Best, 5. Enari Tuala, 6. Jake Clifford, 7. Adam Clune, 8. Jacob Saifiti, 9. Chris Randall, 10. Daniel Saifiti, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Mitch Barnett, 13. Kurt Mann
Bench: 14. Phoenix Crossland, 15. Jirah Momoisea, 16. Leo Thompson 17. Mat Croker
Reserves: 18. Simi Sasagi, 19. Tex Hoy, 20. Edrick Lee, 21. Sauaso Sue, 22. Dylan Lucas, 23. Brayden Musgrove, 24. Jaron Purcell
Team Talk: Two big ins for the Knights with Kalyn Ponga and Daniel Saifiti returning.
Lachlan Fitzgibbon (knee) is out replaced by Mitchell Barnett with Mat Croker coming on to the bench. David Klemmer is still not ready to return.
STORM v EELS
Saturday, 5.30pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen, 2. Dean Ieremia, 3. Reimis Smith, 4. Justin Olam, 5. Xavier Coates, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Jahrome Hughes, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Harry Grant, 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 11. Felise Kaufusi, 12. Kenny Bromwich, 13. Josh King
Bench: 14. Tyran Wishart, 15. Alec MacDonald, 16. Trent Loiero, 17. Tepai Moeroa
Reserves: 18. Chris Lewis, 19. Nick Meaney, 20. Jonah Pezet, 21. Jayden Nikorima, 22. William Warbrick, 23. Brandon Smith, 24. Sualauvi Faalogo
Team Talk: There will be just one change to the side that defeated the Rabbitohs in Round 2, with Harry Grant set to miss out (despite being named) after testing positive to Covid. Tyran Wishart will likely move into the starting side, however Brandon Smith has been named among the reserves and is an outside chance of returning.
1. Clint Gutherson, 2. Waqa Blake, 3. Will Penisini, 4. Tom Opacic, 5. Bailey Simonsson, 6. Dylan Brown, 7. Mitchell Moses, 8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 9. Reed Mahoney, 10. Junior Paulo, 11. Shaun Lane, 12. Isaiah Papali’i, 13. Nathan Brown
Bench: 14. Makahesi Makatoa, 15. Wiremu Greig, 16. Ray Stone, 17. Oregon Kaufusi
Reserves: 18. Bryce Cartwright, 19. Brendan Hands, 20. Ky Rodwell, 21. Hayze Perham, 22. Solomone Naiduki, 23. Luca Moretti, 24. Samuel Loizou
Team Talk: Nathan Brown starts at lock following a successful return from injury last week, with Oregon Kaufusi dropping to the bench. Wiremu Greig comes onto the interchange in place of Jake Arthur.
RAIDERS v TITANS
Saturday, 7.35pm, GIO Stadium, Canberra
1. Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad, 2. Nick Cotric, 3. Matt Timoko, 4. Semi Valemei, 5. Jordan Rapana, 6. Jack Wighton, 7. Brad Schneider, 8. Josh Papalii, 9. Tom Starling, 10. Joseph Tapine, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Corey Harawira-Naera, 13. Elliott Whitehead
Bench: 14. Matt Frawley, 15. Emre Guler, 16. Adam Elliott, 17. Corey Horsburgh
Reserves: 18. Xavier Savage, 19. Ryan Sutton, 20. Adrian Trevilyan 21. Sebastian Kris, 22. Sam Williams, 23. Trey Mooney, 24. Harry Rushton
Team Talk: Brad Schneider (Covid) returns in place of Matt Frawley in the halves, with Frawley dropping to the bench. Jordan Rapana (suspension) and Nick Cotric (quad) are big inclusions in the backline. James Schiller and Seb Kris drop out. Josh Hodgson (ACL) is out for the season, gifting Tom Starling the starting hooking role.
1. Jayden Campbell, 2. Phillip Sami, 3. Brian Kelly, 4. Patrick Herbert, 5. Greg Marzhew, 6. AJ Brimson, 7. Toby Sexton, 8. Moeaki Fotuaika, 9. Erin Clark, 10. Isaac Liu, 11. David Fifita, 12. Beau Fermor, 13. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
Bench: 14. Will Smith, 15. Sam Lisone, 16. Jaimin Jolliffe, 17. Kevin Proctor
Reserves: 18. Herman Ese’ese, 19. Esan Marsters, 20. Jarrod Wallace 21. Sam McIntyre, 22. Jamayne Isaako, 23. Paul Turner, 24. Sosefo Fifita
Team Talk: Unchanged 1-17. New signing Jamayne Isaako has been listed among the reserves following a hasty switch from the Broncos.
BRONCOS v COWBOYS
Sunday, 4.05pm, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
1. Tesi Niu, 2. Corey Oates, 3. Kotoni Staggs, 4. Herbie Farnworth, 5. Selwyn Cobbo, 6. Albert Kelly, 7. Adam Reynolds, 8. Keenan Palasia, 9. Jake Turpin, 10. Payne Haas, 11. Kurt Capewell, 12. Jordan Riki, 13. Pat Carrigan
Bench: 14. Ryan James, 15. Kobe Hetherington, 16. TC Robati, 17. Billy Walters
Reserves: 18. David Mead, 19. Rhys Kennedy, 20. Tyson Gamble, 21. Jordan Pereira, 22. Corey Paix, 23. Brenko Lee, 24. Corey Jensen
Team Talk: No changes at the Broncos following an unbeaten start to the season.
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, 2. Kyle Feldt, 3. Valentine Holmes, 4. Peta Hiku, 5. Murray Taulagi, 6. Tom Dearden, 7. Chad Townsend, 8. Jordan McLean, 9. Reece Robson, 10. Coen Hess, 11. Tom Gilbert, 12. Jeremiah Nanai, 13. Jason Taumalolo
Bench: 14. Jake Granville, 15. Helium Luki, 16. Reuben Cotter, 17. Griffin Neame
Reserves: 18. Emry Pere 19. Scott Drinkwater, 20. Connelly Lemuelu, 21. Brendan Elliot, 22. Ben Condon, 23. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown , 24. Daejarn Asi
Team Talk: Mitchell Dunn (ACL) is out for the season, replaced by Reuben Cotter on the bench. No other changes to the 17 after Tom Gilbert escaped with a fine for his crusher tackle on Semi Valemei. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown (leg) has been included in reserves as he aims for a comeback.
SEA EAGLES v BULLDOGS
Sunday, 6.15pm, 4 Pines Park, Sydney
1. Tom Trbojevic, 2. Jason Saab, 3. Brad Parker, 4. Morgan Harper, 5. Reuben Garrick, 6. Kieran Foran, 7. Daly Cherry-Evans, 8. Sean Keppie, 9. Lachlan Croker, 10. Martin Taupau, 11. Haumole Olakau’atu, 12. Ethan Bullemor, 13. Jake Trbojevic
Bench: 14. Dylan Walker, 15. Karl Lawton, 16. Andrew Davey, 17. Taniela Paseka
Reserves: 18. Toafofoa Sipley, 19. Morgan Boyle, 20. Tolutau Koula, 21. Jorge Taufua, 22. Alec Tuitavake, 23. Christian Tuipulotu, 24. James Roumanos
Team Talk: Same 17. Dylan Walker suffered a head knock in the loss to the Roosters, but with an extended nine-day turnaround he has been named.
1. Matt Dufty, 2. Jayden Okunbor, 3. Braiden Burns, 4. Brent Naden, 5. Josh Addo-Carr, 6. Matt Burton, 7. Jake Averillo, 8. Luke Thompson, 9. Jeremy Marshall-King, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Jack Hetherington, 12. Tevita Pangai Jr, 13. Josh Jackson
Bench: 14. Bailey Biondi-Odo, 15. Corey Waddell, 16. Max King, 17. Ava Seumanufagai
Reserves: 18. Aaron Schoupp, 19. Chris Patolo 20. Brandon Wakeham, 21. Joe Stimson, 22. Kyle Flanagan, 23. Reece Hoffman, 24. Josh Cook
Team Talk: Same 17 as last week with Tevita Pangai Jnr free to play despite being placed on report.
Originally published as SuperCoach NRL 2022: Round 3 teams news, Early Mail