Sports

F1 qualifying LIVE: Monaco Grand Prix consequence and updates as Leclerc lands pole after Perez and Sainz crash

Grumpy Hamilton on Lumpy Monaco

Charles Leclerc will begin the Monaco Grand Prix on pole place as a part of a Ferrari one-two after a crash involving Sergio Perez and Carlos Sainz halted qualifying.

Perez was pushing late within the session however hit the wall, as Sainz collided with the Red Bull driver. Leclerc, who had been the quickest driver all weekend, produced a superb lap at his dwelling circuit proper firstly of Q3.

Max Verstappen will begin in fourth, behind the opposite Ferrari of Sainz and Red Bull team-mate Perez. Verstappen couldn’t enhance on his time earlier than the pink flag because the world champion continued to be off the tempo this weekend.

Pole place is important for Sunday’s race as there are few overtaking alternatives across the Monte Carlo road monitor. Leclerc additionally landed pole place eventually season’s Monaco Grand Prix however was unable to begin the race after he then crashed on the finish of the session.

“It’s so special,” Leclerc mentioned. “I’m so incredibly happy. I knew the pace was in the car. I just knew I had to do the job.”

Lewis Hamilton will begin eighth after the seven-time world champion was unable to enhance upon his time because of the pink flag. It leaves Hamilton behind Lando Norris, George Russell and Fernando Alonso. Follow reside response to qualification this afternoon in Monte-Carlo:

1653752427

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

Here is The Independent’s report after Charles Leclerc took pole forward of the Monaco Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver, born and raised on Monte Carlo’s well-known streets, held his nerve to ship an almighty lap below strain as teammate Carlos Sainz joined him on the entrance row.

Red Bull’s Sergio Perez will begin third, with Max Verstappen, who leads Leclerc by six factors within the championship standings, fourth.

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:40

1653752148

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

Daniel Ricciardo has been left completely pissed off as he might solely put his McLaren 14th on the grid. His teammate Lando Norris managed fifth…

Speaking after qualifying, the Australian mentioned: “I don’t know what the word is, it’s frustrating and just confusing to not make these natural steps that one should.”

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:35

1653752006

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

Red Bull group principal Christian Horner has admitted he doesn’t assume they may have gotten pole even when the pink flag had not come out in direction of the top of Q3.

He mentioned: “I don’t think that pole was on today, Charles was mighty.

“Congrats to him as a result of we could not have performed that point however it’s a disgrace as a result of I believe each of the drivers might have improved a little bit.

“Max certainly was significantly up but it is one of those things. Checo has been on it all weekend and that is still P3 and P4 so it is just one of those things and there could be some weather tomorrow.

“It is disappointing to not get one on the entrance row however we’ll combat from there.”

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:33

1653751706

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

It really was a dramatic end to qualifying in Monaco.

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:28

1653751421

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

Carlos Sainz reacts to his second place on the grid and Ferraris one-two finish. But he begins by discussing that late crash with Sergio Perez which led to the red flag and end of the session.

He said: “Perez crashed in entrance of me and I used to be on my flying lap. I noticed the yellow flag coming into Turn 8, I needed to hit the brakes and attempt to keep away from him one of the best I might.

“It is a shame another red flag costing us the end of the session so that we cannot go for pole position but that is typical Monaco.

“We thought we had actually good tempo all day and we have been simply constructing it up for Quali. We won’t ever know and it’s inconceivable to say however I used to be feeling good.

“Let’s finish the job tomorrow, I think we are in a good position to get a result for the team, the car has been amazing all weekend so we will go for it.”

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:23

1653751220

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

A one-two for Ferrari in Monte Carlo!

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:20

1653750967

Monaco Grand Prix qualifying

Charles Leclerc has reacted to his very good pole place on the Monaco Grand Prix.

He mentioned:”It is very special. I’m so incredibly happy. It’s been a very smooth weekend until now, I knew that the pace was in the car and I just had to do the job.

“It went completely. That final lap earlier than the Red Flag was actually, actually good. Anyway, it did not change something for us. The automotive felt wonderful and it is nice to have Carlos with me on the entrance row.

“Dry conditions are a bit more predictable but whatever comes, we are competitive so we will be fine.”

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:16

18) Lance Stroll, Aston-Martin

19) Nicholas Latifi, Williams

20) Zhou Guanyu, Alfa Romeo

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:11

1653750584

Monaco Grand Prix Q3

Here is your high 10 for the Monaco Grand Prix!

1) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari

3) Sergio Perez, Red Bull

4) Max Verstappen, Red Bull

6) George Russell, Mercedes

7) Fernando Alonso, Alpine

8) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes

9) Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:09

1653750544

Monaco Grand Prix Q3

Here was the second! Will deliver you the complete high 10 in only a second.

Dylan Terry28 May 2022 16:09