Angry mob mocks mum after kids die in house fire

A mum of four has been jeered by an angry mob after her kids were killed in a house fire while she reportedly left them alone to go shopping.

The mum of four boys who were killed in a house fire was jeered by an “angry” mob as their bodies were laid out, The Sun reports.

Meanwhile their grieving dad says “I don’t know how I’ll go on” after his “tragic loss” after twins Kyson and Bryson, four, and Leyton and Logan, three, perished in their terraced home.

The brothers are thought to have been home alone amid claims their mum had gone shopping in Sutton, South London.

The boys’ mum Deveca Rose, 27 — who is separated from Dalton — got back from Sainsbury’s, five minutes’ walk away, to find the house ablaze.

Stream more UK news live & on demand with Flash, Australia’s biggest news streaming service. New to Flash? Try 14 days free now >

Sixty firefighters got to the scene in under three minutes and tried to rescue the boys. Medics carried out CPR outside the house where the brothers’ unopened Christmas gifts lay under the tree in cinders.

They were taken to hospital from the home in Collingwood Road, Sutton, South London, shortly after 7pm on Thursday but pronounced dead from smoke inhalation.

One neighbour in her 40s who did not want to be named, said: “The boys were laid out in a row on the pavement and the firemen were trying to resuscitate them.

“They said one of them was still moving.

“There was an angry reaction from the crowd when the mother arrived home.”

Dad Dalton Hoath, 28, said: “I’ll never get to take them to their first game. I’m devastated.”

Dalton, whose dad works for AFC Wimbledon, said: “Their first football game was all they were talking about. Now I won’t be able to see them playing or watching football.

“It would have been passing down a tradition as the family have supported Wimbledon for years.

“They were bright, caring, loveable boys. I don’t know how I will carry on. It’s a miracle I haven’t lost the plot already.”

One theory is the fire was started by faulty fairy lights that may have set alight the PVC front door.

Police said they arrested a woman aged 27 on suspicion of neglect on Thursday night.

She was still being quizzed in custody last night, with nurses present to provide assistance.

The boys’ grandad Jason Hoath, a security officer at AFC Wimbledon, spent the night and yesterday comforting Dalton. Jason said: “I’ve just left my son. He’s devastated. We all are. I’ve lost four grandchildren and he’s lost his kids as well.

“It’s all the more heartbreaking because their presents were piled under the tree ready.

“We don’t know what happened and are just waiting for the police to get back to us.”

Jason went to hospital with Dalton to identify the children and said they had “looked like angels”.

It is thought they were overcome from smoke and died before the firefighters could reach them.

AFC Wimbledon had been planning to wear black armbands and hold a minute’s silence at Saturday’s home match with Portsmouth before it was postponed by Covid.

Jason said his grandsons, nicknamed The Quad by neighbours, couldn’t wait for their first match.

He said: “Everyone was looking forward to Christmas and after the holidays in the New Year the boys were going to their first game. They loved playing football.

“We are all big Wimbledon fans and were going to take them there.

“I have some wonderful memories of us playing football in the summer with the boys in their England shirts as we watched the Euros. We had some lovely parties together.

“I can’t believe this has happened. He (Dalton) would have been over in a shot if she (Deveca) needed someone to look after the boys.

“He really loved them as he does the children he has with his new partner.”

Sherry Williams, Deveca’s mum and the boys’ gran, declined to comment at her home in Mitcham, South West London, last night.

A source said: “She’s been in touch with the boys’ family to say how sorry she is and that she just doesn’t know what happened.

“She hasn’t had a chance to speak with Deveca because she is at the police station and is with police and nurses as she’s in such a bad way.

“They (Deveca and Dalton) had their ups and downs like any other split-up couple but they got on with each other for the sake of the children.”

Police said it is likely to take several days before the cause is established. The blaze ripped through the ground floor and turned the PVC-covered front door into an inferno.

Fire crews got the blaze under control just after 8.30pm.

One neighbour told how she tried to revive the boys. She said: “I was driving past as the fire started. It was so shocking. I jumped out of my car and got involved.

“The boy had his school jacket on. It was awful. I did not take it in at the time and I’ve not slept since. I got asked if anyone could do CPR and I could so I tried when they came out. Then the paramedics arrived.

“I really thought they were going to be OK. It’s heartbreaking, beyond tragic. I can’t get the images out of my head. It will really stay with me.

“I tried my best, everyone did. Those poor boys. They had everything to live for.”

London Fire Commissioner Andy Roe said firefighters were “numb with profound sadness”.

Mr Roe added: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of the children, the whole local community and all those who will be affected by this fire. Crews arrived quickly and located the children inside the property. They were brought out of the house and given immediate emergency care.

“The welfare of our staff involved in this incident is very important to us and all will be offered counselling as a priority.”

London Ambulance Service’s Brian Jordan said its crews were trained to deal with situations like this but the fact the boys were so young, and it was so close to Christmas made it very difficult. Westbourne Primary School, where the eldest twins attended, said its entire community were devastated by the tragic loss.

It added: “Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the family and anyone else affected by this heartbreaking event.

“We will continue to support the children, the staff, the families and the community through these very difficult times.” Nursery teachers and wellwishers visited the scene yesterday to lay flowers and toys.

This article originally appeared in The Sun and is republished here with permission

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *